Wednesday, February 13, 2008

This touched me...

This was posted on one of the forums and I really wanted to quote it – it’s just that I have felt like this so often, that I though it was something really worth sharing…


"I know other people have told me it takes a year or 18 months to feel normal again.

BUT -- what I suspect is, the tough part for me is realizing that I will probably need to make peace with some PERMANENT changes in how I live my life -- for instance, I don't see what I will ever again be charging around the back yard with a wheelbarrow full of mulch, or shoveling snow off the driveway. Of course, I could no longer do that in the last couple of years before my surgery anyway.

On the OTHER hand -- (are you getting whiplash following this?) -- the reality is, I would have become increasingly disabled had I NOT had the surgery. A fused spine is not natural, and it is limiting. But so is severe scoliosis. The hardest part about this condition, for me, is ACCEPTING the fact that EITHER WAY, with or without a fused spine, my back will never be "normal.""


Thanks girl for expressing this so well…I owe you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We now have a new "Normal." I much prefer it to the old one full of pain and a distorted spine.