Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The old bill

I have to tell you about the reaction of the police to my car as I can't fault their indifference.

They came out (so hubby tells me) and looked at the car. They didn't take fingerprints or any details in particular - just gave him a crime reference number and told him that we would need that for the insurance claim.

Yesterday we got a letter including a leaflet from victim support. The letter said how sorry they were that we had been the victims of crime and that they promised that they would update us every month on our case.

Ah, now that would be to say - nothing done this month, then umm nothing next month either and the month after, well, that would be err nothing then??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly that sounds about right. When I lived up in Staffordshire, one of our cars was broken into. This was at 4pm. We duly called the police, who took the full address, told us they'd be with us shortly, and that we shouldn't touch it until after they'd been. Come 8pm there was still no sign of them. Eventually we said "sod this" and called Autoglass to mend the window before someone could steal the car whilst it was insecure. Just as the Autoglass man left - at 10:30pm - the police arrived. Their excuse for a six and a half hour delay? They had the wrong postcode and couldn't find us. And how far from the police station did we live? 2 miles, on a well-known main road just outside Cannock, in a bloody great block of flats!

Anonymous said...

I should add that I also had one of those "you're a victim of crime!" leaflets when my car was broken into. All the leaflet did was give me lots of advice about how I could have prevented the crime in the first place; all of which measures I'd already taken and it was still broken into anyway (Twice. In eight weeks.) The leaflet more-or-less implied that it had to be my fault that the car was singled out, and the poor weak-willed thief was simply drawn to my car because I had the temerity to leave it unattended in the station car park whilst I took the train to work.