Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cats and their tricks

So, while I was away Grace (our lady cat) seems to have learned a new trick. It’s probably not true to say that she learned it while I was away, as its to do with the washing and hubby didn’t do any while I was away*1 but I’m sure she must have been planning it for weeks because she is very good at it.

I did the laundry yesterday and being a nasty damp time of year it didn’t dry outside. Now we don’t have a drier (as our only attempt at owning one turned into a minor fire) so its airers and radiators in our house that get to do all the work over the winter. In this room with the PC we have a big radiator*2 and over it at the moment are several t-shirts and polo shirts.

So, Grace reaches up inside the neck of a shirt, gets a good grip and tries to squirm her way inside. Mostly they fall to the ground as her weight is just too much and so she curls up inside a warm, dark, damp nest. I tried to catch her at it and thought (in my wisdom) that if I grabbed the shirt and held on, that she would fall out the neck. Right? Nope, wrong! She wedged herself in, bridging the neck hole with her feet down each arm and laid out across the shoulders – now I have her in a kind of hammock and I can tell that she doesn’t want to move. I shook and shook the shirt but she just hung on in there (no doubt getting her very own mini version of Alton Towers) until I finally managed to dislodge her. She ran away then but has been back since and is as I type this looking at first me then the shirts sideways as if to say “Fancy another go?”
Cat 5
*1Although he did clean the house for which I am supremely grateful
*2In fact we have BIG radiators all over the house here – some of them are about 10 ft long I think – I think the previous owner got them off the back of a lorry and mixed up imperial and metric measurements or something. Anyway, they are ridiculously large!


Cat 5

No comments: