Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A case of mistaken bovine identity…

Following on with a very tenuous link (you’ll see why later) from my last entry I thought I’d tell you a little tale from when hubby and I were on our recent holiday….

One day we hired a car – the island was only about 10 miles by 11 miles and so we figured we could probably see most of it (!) with one day’s car hire. Hubby drove and we set off to visit the famous local harbour and then went off to explore the interior of the island. We started driving up this hill, crested the top and then swooped down the other side following the bend in the road*1. I saw something in a field on the right hand side of the road and as we passed it I looked at hubby, he looked at me and he said “What’s an…?” “…Elephant?” we both burst out….”doing in the middle of a field in the Caribbean…!” !!!
Elephant 2

That was it, we were both certain that there was a small elephant – something about young elephant size, in the field, behind the hedge. How bizarre and random is that?

Well, we had to stop and double check, I mean, it was just so odd that we both thought and said the same thing at the same time….Anyway, hubby stops the car, grabs his camera and trots back up the road. What does he find? Well, by the time he got back to the ‘elephant’ it had lifted up its head and was idly chewing the cud, regarding curiously this odd tourist charging up the road towards it. You see, it was a cow, a grey and rather wrinkly cow whose head had been down at feet level and who had rather broad shoulders that looked like the ears of a small elephant….
Cow
…I guess you had to be there, but it was funny……

*1 Plainly following the road is a good idea….

No comments: