Thursday, December 06, 2007

The perils of not reading the packet

I saw DG last week and she was asking my advice on how to tie a toga since she had been invited to a toga party. Well, my only efforts at such things have mostly been back in my student days and then only in a mad drunken moment so I wasn’t really too much help. I muttered something about wrapping a sheet around you like a towel, pinning it to your underwear (just in case!) and chucking the excess fabric up and over your shoulder so that you look delightful and Roman like – completely unruffled by your experiences of pinning, wrapping and generally getting in a knot. Anyway, DG seemed pretty happy with the response and went away muttering things like “buy a sheet” and “make sure I’ve got safety pins….”

I went home and so did she (opposite sides of the country) and then on the day of the party I received a frantic text:

“Help! Disaster! I bought a fitted sheet!”

Ah, DG, always bound to surprise and amuse you, just when you least expect it.

BTW, just in case anyone out there has found this blog because they really do want to tie a toga – this is how you do it.

No comments: