Monday, January 07, 2008

Cough, ow, cough ow....

So, I have not been blogging because I have had a cough and a cold. This is quite unusual for me because I am normally disgustingly healthy and whenever hubby gets the lurgy, I look at it, try it out for 24 hours and then shrug it off. This time? Nope, didn't happen, I got a sore throat on the 30th of December and its only now that I'm starting to really feel better. That's not right at all!

What's worse (and they never tell you this before surgery) is that this is the first time I have had a cough since I was sliced and diced (nearly two years ago now OMG!). It's only when you cough and try and strain your diaphragm that you realise that taking out a couple of ribs and chopping your diaphragm in half leaves you with scar tissue and other non stretchy creaky stiff bits. Its these bits that hurt when you cough - well, that's just not cricket really is it? Mind, I suppose that's just as well, I never did think much of this idea of running around and yes, I know that cricket is mostly standing around, but a cricket ball hurts if you try and catch it. Much too much like hard work - so no thankyou!

Anyway, I shall be writing more on the subject of the two years when it gets to 2 years (watch this space at the beginning of Feb ) but something weird did occur to me just the other day...You see, when I went in for my pre-op assessment, my curve had increased 12 degrees in the two years leading up to then and I was told that in a very short space of timeI wouldn't be able to sit in a chair with arms, my torso would be so far shifted to the right. In fact, just a few days before going into hospital hubby and I went to the cinema and I couldn't get comfortable - whatever I did the arm of the seat was sticking in my side and in the end it got so bad that hubby took his jacket and tried to cushion me with it so I could get through the film. I don't remember what the film was - which I think says nothing for the quality of the film but a lot for how uncomfortable I was.

So, wind the clock forward to now - another 12 degrees would have put me at an 87 degree lumbar curve - a chair with arms really would be a problem...isn't the prospect of that frightening - especially when you consider the fact that I was in 2 minds whether to get the surgery or not ! It was that statement in fact, at my pre-op, that probably had the biggest impact on how I felt going in to the surgery and whether or not I felt I was making the right decision.

Well, now, with the benefit of hindsight, I am so glad that I had it done. I go to the cinema and can't believe that I don't touch either arm (unless I want to) - and yes, its true that the cough is a pain in the - er, ribcage, but hey - it's worth it!

1 comment:

lynne said...

HI Warped Woman-I feel the same ...it really feels different & a bit uncomfortable to cough. So glad I did'nt have any colds/coughs prior to now at about 1yr & 1/2.........Lynne