Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Acka...what???

I know I mentioned my swallowing thing before, but I have finally got a diagnosis. Apparently I have Achalasia (which I have been told is said Achalasia as in Aphid, not achalasia as in apple....!) anyway, I digress...

It basically means that the nerves supplying the lower part of my oesophagus have decided to pack it all up as a bad idea and my peristalsis just twitters occasionally (on a good day) without actually doing anything useful. Of more concern to me (and the main stuff of all my difficulties) is the fact that this nerve thing means that my stomach valve doesn’t open to let food into my tummy so it just kind of stacks up in my gullet until eventually it manages to squeeze its way through the tiny little hole left at the bottom.

I thought I’d post my x-ray (very odd eh?):
– my valve is the bit just below the level of those two screws and my problem started (in some kind of haphazard way) after my surgery happened. First I had occasional problems with toast and then it was bread, then meat and then gradually over time I found I was having some issues with every meal. Now...I had nerve damage through my surgery (remember the numb abdomen and the leg thing) so I asked my surgeon if it might be connected to my spine.

“...Um, no, I’m sure it isn’t”, he said – “but we don’t really know why this kind of thing happens...”

Now, I’ve heard that people who have broken their thoracic spine get a higher incidence of achalasia so I think they may indeed be connected. Having said that, in such litigious times, I think no doctor or surgeon would suggest that another’s work might lead to any kind of related medical complication just in case you decide to rush out and sue them!

For me, I’m not interested in litigation, I was simply curious. My spine surgeon once said to me that you can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs and I’m pretty glad to have been a pretty good omelette, rather than a box of broken eggs that would have to be thrown away.

Anyway, as I get more details, I’ll let you know more on the acka-what story later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, it's always something isn't it? You seem to be handling the diagnosis with your usual brand of humor (I'd be shaking my fists at the heavens).