Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Car Window 1 Finger 0

Did you know that modern cars have some kind of sensor on the electric windows so that you can’t use them to slice small children’s fingers off? I did! What I did not know was that my 25 year old car (which has electric windows) has no such sensor and safety cut out. With mine, you press the button and the window goes up, if you put a carrot in the way, it slices it in half (I am sure of this but have not yet gone to the trouble of wasting a carrot*1). I know this because someone left a note under my windscreen wiper...

Now before you wonder what anyone was doing leaving me a note about my electric windows under the windscreen wiper, let me explain that the note had nothing to do with anything (apart from the fact that I had parked in a staff space without a badge, late at night when all the staff had gone home). I know it was naughty, but it seemed to me that at 9 pm outside a school there really wouldn’t be too many teachers around (sadly there was an overzealous caretaker, hence the note).

Anyway, that’s just dragging out the story so I will try and give you the short version! It went like this:
  1. I got in my car before I saw the note
  2. I started to drive across the car park
  3. I then spotted the note
  4. I wound down window to collect note
  5. I had to lean a long way out to reach the note and ended up leaning on the ‘window close’ button with my other hand by mistake as I stretched to reach the note
  6. At that point the window started to go up
  7. I pulled arm into car - quickly - but caught a ring on my finger in top of window
  8. My finger got trapped by the rising window which had no sensor to stop the rising glass when it encountered a foreign object (such as my finger)
  9. In the dark and in a major panic I mashed all the buttons on my door - opening the windows on the far side of the car (very helpful...not!) in the process before finally getting the button to open my window.
  10. Result, a very squashed ring and a pretty bruised finger....

Mmmmm – don’t try this one at home...


*1I am waiting for the ones in the fridge to get past even soup making before I have a go.....
Carrot

No comments: