Friday, January 23, 2009

I’m home!

So, I’m home! I’ve had my heller myotomy and early results look encouraging – certainly I have burped for the first time in months (because my stomach valve was shut too tight to allow wind to come up before the op) and nothing I have eaten so far has hurt. It’s true though that I am on a sloppy diet still (or sloopy*1 as it was written in my notes) and I don’t expect to know for sure how good my outcome will be for around 6 weeks when I expect to have healed properly and tried eating most things....toast...I dream of toast.....!
Cookie
I have been pretty good in myself apart from the usual post-op stuff of soreness and the like but pain is well under control and the swelling is already starting to go down. Of course, with 5 incisions for this op, my stomach now looks like I have had a run in with a knife wielding maniac but there you go. At least I will be able to spin some wonderful yarns when I am old and in my nursing home ....my scoliosis scar can be shark bite, these can be knife attack, the appendix can be surgery with a spoon...oooh, I shall have such fun! I have been wondering though, if you look at my tummy from the right angle, will it look like a smilie?
Huh

More on all the wonders of life the universe and hospital soon!

*1 ...and I thought this was something you could only get on the John B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope your surgery is a success. I had Heller myotomy in 1996. I had the conventional surgery which means I was cut from my breast around to my back.
Before the surgery I had 5 dilatations to stretch my esophagus but they never really worked longer than an couple of weeks. .

On the 2nd of January I had an upper GI and Barium Swallow to determine the current condition of my esophagus.

I have been living with Achalasia for 28 years.