Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Surgery with a spoon?

I had a bad day yesterday. I had a serious muscle spasm in my back and boy did it hurt - it hung round all day as well. I hate those spasms, the 'normal' pains I can live with and although I have plenty to go round, I know what they are and where they are (the grindy one at the bottom, the scrunched up one at the side, the tweaky one by my shoulder blade ...well, you get the picture). What I hate about the spasms, is that they come somewhere new, somewhere (usually) inaccessible and they just hurt the worst of everything. Its days like yesterday that make me remember why I need the op.

A lot of the time I think I do just fine and that I am invincible and the op is completely unnecessary. Its not like when I had appendicitis. I distinctly remember being in absolute agony and them asking for my permission to operate. "Permission, YES!", I screamed, "just get this thing out of me - use a spoon if you have to". Well, yesterday was like that - not that I think a spoon is quite suitable for spinal surgery. Maybe a knife, fork and a Black and Decker drill.....

Anyway, today I have the after effects and feel like I have been kicked in the back by a horse*. I'm sure that recovering from surgery I will feel like I have been kicked in the back by an elephant and a horse will sound great. Still, at least I got a reminder of why I need to do all of this. It's easy to lose sight of sometimes.


*Not that I know what this feels like, having never been kicked in the back by a horse - however, I was bitten in the back by a horse once and from this I learned that a) horses have very strong teeth, b) they can draw blood through 4 layers of clothing and c) it's not a good idea to turn your back on them when they think you look tasty.

No comments: