Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Doing things for the last time?

I'm finding it quite an odd time at the moment. On the one hand I am cool about the surgery. I know I have made the right decision and will benefit in the long term from getting it done. I'm actually pretty calm about the whole thing, but with about 2 weeks to go I've got plenty of time yet to get really nervous and stressed out and make life hell for those around me (especially if I try really hard!)

Seriously though - one of the things I am finding oddest (and I don't know if other people get this too), is that every so often a thought pops into my head - wow, this is the last time I will do this! Now, I don't mean that I am going to give up my mad social whirl and everything in my life just 'cos I’m having spinal surgery. I don't expect to come home and put my feet up for the rest of my life but everything is going to change.... my clothes will fit differently for example. Styles of clothing that I never wear at the moment will become an option. I never wear jumpers with long rib sections around the bottom as the rib section rubs on where my lumbar spine sticks out – its uncomfortable and always makes me feel more crooked. Rub rub – your ribs stick out, rub rub, you're lopsided….so, I don't wear them. I like them though (they make your waist look tiny and you look curvy), so I'm looking forward to buying one of those. At the moment, I'm actually not precious at all about wearing tight tops and the like which show off my rather odd shape - I don't mind too much that other people can see it, I'm only bothered if I get reminded myself. I guess there's some kind of weird logic in there somewhere but I'm typing this quite early in the morning so I can’t think that hard...

Anyway, yesterday was the last time that I went shopping in the local big city - next time I go I will be different. I saw bunch of friends over the weekend and it's the last time I will see them like this - next time I will be different. What odd ideas our brain produces eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. I only wear black, I only wear loose fitting, non-revealing clothing.
I might be able to dress like everyone else sometime after surgery.
It is all the weirdest thoughts now with just two weeks to go.
I'm glad we will be doing this sorta together, a day apart. It's nice knowing I won't be "alone" in all of this. :)

Kat

Posted by Anonymous at 2:29 PM, 24/1/2006