Wednesday, January 18, 2006

All those questions your consultant can answer...hopefully!

This is a topic that comes up quite a lot on forums - you don't get much time with your consultant and there are so many things to know about such major surgery that it's easy to forget something. I shall be taking a list with me to my pre-op tomorrow! As to this list here, well, I've tried to think of everything - even the things that I've already asked, but hope it's useful to someone else:

1. What are the risks & benefits of this surgery?
2. What correction do you hope to achieve (i.e. how straight will my spine be after surgery)?
3. Will it be anterior or posterior surgery?
4. How many and what levels will you fuse?
5. How long will the operation take?
6. What will happen if I don't have surgery?
7. Are you doing the surgery yourself?
8. Will I be in Intensive Care afterwards - how long do you expect that I would be in there for?
9. How long will I have to remain in the hospital after the surgery?
10. Am I being admitted to Hospital on the day of the surgery or the day before?
11. How long will it take to recover?
12. Will I get physiotherapy to help with my recovery?
13. When can I start being as active as I was before surgery?
14. How long will it be before I can start driving or return to work?
15. What permanent restrictions are there on activity?
16. Can I talk to another patient/family that had the surgery?
17. What is the scar like?
18. Will I need a post op brace?
19. Do you plan to reduce my rib hump?
20. Is there anything I need to do to prepare for surgery (e.g. donate blood)?

Well, if your consultant lets you ask all that, then you'll be there a while, but this is pretty major surgery - you should be entitled to ask a few questions!

Wish me luck for my pre-op !

No comments: