Monday, January 16, 2006

My poor hubby's foot (and the visit to A & E)

I may have mentioned that I walk with a limp. I don't notice it myself, in fact I'd think it pretty strange if the horizon didn't bob up and down when I walk but it does make carrying cups of coffee pretty interesting. Not as interesting as a bowl of soup - on a tray - now that is fun -"bowl of soup anyone?" (takes a step) "half a bowl of soup anyone?" (takes a step) "quarter a bowl of soup anyone?".

Anyway, my poor hubby hurt his foot recently and we took him to A & E. I decided to keep him company, besides which I have a vast knowledge of hospitals (hee hee) and know all about following the blue or yellow line. We met a very nice nurse who was walking with us towards x-ray for hubby to get his foot photographed. Oh dear she said to me - as I lurched down the corridor. Are you booked in too - no I said, I always walk like this - he's just copying me! I think she was not impressed by my unsympathetic manner...

Actually on the subject of other people who notice you limp, I get really fed up with those 'accident' lawyers. They rush up to you in the town centre - "have you been hurt in an accident?" they ask, eyeing your walking stick and limp. For ages I wondered why they always picked on me (told you I don't notice the horizon bobbing up and down) and haven't yet managed to think of anything witty or pithy enough to say to them on the spur of the moment - altho' I do admit to having asked one of them once why he thought I might have been...and he didn't have an answer...

No comments: