Saturday, January 28, 2006

My packing list (how organised am I?!)

You probably really don't care what I am taking to hospital, but failing to secure the Chippendales to keep me occupied and a full make up bag to keep me beautiful, I thought I'd concentrate on practicalities. I am basing my list on various lists I've found on blogs, forums and various web pages like this one at http://scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm and I'm sure most of it will be useful. I thought I'd list my one here just in case you too need to pack for a hospital stay. If not, have fun reading through the list and my reasons.

Things I will take:

  • A nice new nightie which buttons up the front - yes I know they will give me a highly sexy hospital gown, but I have no desire to show my bottom off around the hospital for any longer than I have to. I have also heard that raising your arms above your head is very painful so a button up front sounds good.
  • A nice new dressing gown - I really don't want anyone to see my old one!
  • A sports bottle or bendy straws - well seriously, have you ever tried drinking whilst lying down - what else are you going to use?
  • My Archos - OK, OK I'm too poor to buy an I-pod. Still it has all my favourite music on it and I can really annoy the old lady in the next bed by letting her overhear the tinny noises from my cheap headphones.
  • Chewy tooth thingies sound good - unfortunately I don't know where to get them from apart from motorway service stations. I shall just have to settle for foul breath until I can walk to the bathroom and try to avoid eating garlic for the whole of my hospital stay.
  • Some mints or fruit sweets to suck - sugar free of course. After all if I'm not going to be brushing my teeth (eeew!) then I don't want tooth decay too...
  • Some magazines and puzzle books - for all the hanging around before the operation. I'm sure I will be too spaced out on morphine after the operation to even do join the dots.
  • No polite way to put this, but some sanitary supplies - don't ask me why, but one of the side effects of an anaesthetic seems to be to bring your monthly period forward - having just finished one means nothing in anaesthetic land. Oh yes and the things they have in hospitals would have been old fashioned when your granny was little - you have been warned! I shall take my own - just in case.
  • My cuddly dog (aahhh) that hubby bought me for Christmas - I'm gonna need some serious hugs I think.
  • My slip on slippers - which slip off easily and I will no doubt lose under the bed within minutes of arriving (and then I'll probably never find them again!)
  • Lip balm - apparently is a life saver according to some people. Even though I don't expect to be kissing too many people this sounds a good idea - I really hate dry, cracked lips.

Things I won't take:

Well apart from the obvious - like War and Peace, I shan't bother with squash or fruit juice - I quite like water (it's my favourite drink after coffee, wine, whisky, beer etc etc!). Also I will let hubby bring suitable clothes to go home in at the appropriate time (any sooner and I might try and escape!). I thought of grapes too, but without a Chippendale to peel them for me it wouldn't quite be the same...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to get some slippers. Probably this weekend.
I have a bunch of button up shirts, shorts that pull on and off, feminine supplies, gum, mints, my baby blanket, my stuffed doggie so I won't be so lonely, cds, my walkman/cd player, lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, (almost forgot that one) a new book to read, a couple of magazines, socks, tons of pictures of my kids and nieces on my cellphone, all my telephone numbers of friends and family so I can call people, change for the vending machines in case I want a snack I can send a visitor to get me something, a baggie for my jewelry, (I feel naked without my rings so I want to be able to put those back on afterwards), my contact solution, a contact case, (I don't have spare glasses, this part my suck not being able to see anything).
I think that's it right now. Two weeks in the hospital is a long time to be away from all our stuff at home, I have no clue what else to take and will probably try to pack everything but the kitchen sink. I definitely don't want that. ;)

Kat

Posted by Anonymous at 12:02 AM, 29/1/2006

WarpedWoman said...

Eeek! I don't think I could cope with my contacts whilst going through all of this. I'm blind as the proverbial bat of course without my glasses but maybe this is a good thing so I won't be able to see all my tubes etc. Of course it will also mean that any ugly male nurses will all look hazy and handsome but maybe this is no bad thing either....I'm leaving my mobile at home (not allowed to use them in UK hospitals), but the small change is a really great idea. Thanks Kat!

Edited by warpedwoman on 29/1/2006 at 9:26 AM