Tuesday, February 24, 2009

All a bad dream?

I had a cheese sandwich...yes, I did! That means that for the first time in about 10 months, I had a slice of bread that wasn’t toasted and then dunked in coffee to make it pliable enough to get down me. It was simply a slice of bread, a bit of butter and some cheese and I just ate it without any real problems at all. It makes me wonder if the memory of my achalasia is really nothing more than the heading suggests – just a bad dream!

Of course, the sandwich was different to eat than before I really started to have problems with my swallow. I used to bite, chew, swallow, bite, chew, swallow, bite, chew, swallow until it was all gone but this was more like bite, chew, swallow .............bite ...... chew ................ swallow .................... bite ........... chew ................ swallow until it was gone – so altogether a slower process. Hubby likened it to only allowing one man on the rope bridge at a time...no peristalsis means that you simply have to let gravity get your food down for you and some things are more influenced by gravity than others. I never thought I’d be wondering what to choose off a menu based on how heavy it was but I can definitely state that lettuce is so light that it doesn’t seem to go anywhere at all!

All the same, this seems to me like a return to some kind of normality and I am starting to find it hard to remember struggling to eat in the way that I was. Long may it continue!

Eating Fast

I'm still dreaming of pizza BTW...I have £15 in my purse and I'm waiting for Saturday!

No comments: