Thursday, October 11, 2012

Visit to the dentist

I woke up the other day and sleepily rolled over and got out of bed. I was almost dressed when an alarm went off on my phone - I glanced at the screen and saw I had a dentist appointment in 8 minutes time. 8 minutes!! 8 minutes?! Oh good grief! There I was, one sock off and one sock on and it can take me 8 minutes sometimes to get my socks on, let alone my shoes! I grabbed my trouser leg and stuffed my uncooperative feet into shoes, picked up my bag and my horrible mean phone (fancy only giving me 8 minutes!) and rushed (using the term loosely) outside. The car was on the opposite side of the street about 4 doors down (typical!), so I ran over to it (well, its not what most people would exactly call running, but I stumbled as fast as I could and thankfully didn't fall over) got inside and got going. Down to the bottom of the road, nothing coming, luck on my side here...and drove up to the traffic lights . Now its not far to the dentist. Way too far for me to walk, but literally 2 minutes in the car....I looked at the clock and I had exactly 2 minutes to get there. The lights went green, I started to make the turn, then a lady with a pushchair stepped into the road and I swerved to avoid her, forcing me down the second exit from the lights! Grrrr....turned the car...had to wait for the lights again...tap tap tap on the steering wheel, lights green, clock ticks over to exact appointment time, just as I get to the dentist car park. Phew! Argh! Not phew! The car park is full. I am forced to leave the car on the side of the road in a residents zone. I cross my fingers - which is no mean feat while you are walking with sticks, and rush (stagger) in to the surgery. Its full to bursting and the calm collected receptionist tells me they are running 20 minutes late. I find a seat and have a stern word with Siri ....8 minutes indeed! If that's how he's going to behave, I may be looking for a new phone! What a way to start a day! Oh yes, I didn't need anything doing teeth-wise and got away with the parking ....but I'm not sure just how I managed any of it!

No comments: