Thursday, April 26, 2007

Nuts to it....

So, here I am, perched on the edge of the sofa with the baby laptop (which runs as fast as the average slug), on my knee. Why you may ask when I have a perfectly good desk with a nice shiny new(ish) desktop just waiting to be switched on and used. Wrong! Those of you with good memories will know just how new the desktop is so may be surprised to know that it isn't working quite the way it should.

Now I know I shouldn't name and shame, but I am seriously p'd off with Packard Bell (ooops, did I just mention their name?). A few days ago hubby turned on the PC to be met with the ominous message "config.sys is missing"! Now why this should make a hap'orth of difference I have no idea since that file isn't even used by XP, but it did and the damn machine refused to start.

I came up with the brilliant idea of using the recovery disc that came with the machine and in a foolish, fey and reckless moment stuck it in the drive and headed for the repair console. Within moments, my hard drive was being reformatted and then came a soothing message which was something like:

"Don't worry about a thing - you are just the moron who operates the machine. You know nothing but we do so we will put everything back to normal for you by transferring a few files" - actually it may have just said "copying files now", but you get the idea...

After an hour of reading this message and no lights flashing on the machine I turned it off, gave up and went to bed. In the morning in a much better mood (not) I loaded up my own version of XP but discovered it didn't have all the drivers I needed so it was back to the recovery disc to load them.. Guess what? It reformatted my hard drive again for me (so helpful...). At least this time after the soothing message ("Don't worry - we know best") it did actually copy some files. I then got anther message (hurrah!) saying "restoring operating system...this may take some time...... I was really good, I waited patiently, I resisted the temptation to throw the machine across the room, I didn't strangle anyone with the cables, I didn't even kick the cat with frustration probably 'cos I would've fallen over) - and eventually the message went, the screen went blank and then I got a dos prompt. I rebooted (thinking that XP would then start) and got...a dos prompt. I checked the contents of the hard drive....wow...an operating system...a dos one that is....

I am going back to the shop......I may be some time.....so if I don't blog for a while, you know
why........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haven't you heard? Microsoft are remotely killing all copies of XP via a secret cross-continent network of ray-guns, operated by kidnapped and brainwashed Mozilla staff, so Windows users will be forced to pay out for an upgrade to Vista ...

='.'=~~~~