Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Of little green men and a nice man called Dave

Well, I’m back online properly – typing on the big machine with the proper screen and all. Turns out that unless M is right and its all a nasty Microsoft plot to get us all to buy Vista, that my crash was probably caused by little green men….umm, that means no-one has yet figured out why sh*t happens to computers.

Anyway, I called the Packard Bell helpline and expected at least 30 minutes of canned musack so was very surprised to be directed to ‘Dave’ with just a minimum of pressing the * and # keys on the phone. Dave was helpful too and didn’t ask me any stupid questions instead accepting that I knew that it wasn’t a hardware fault and had actually followed all the proper procedures to get to where I was. He diagnosed a faulty partition that even when the drive had been re-formatted hadn’t been properly removed. In order to access it I needed to access the Q: drive – I have a Q: drive I asked? Where’s that hidden? Well, seems its somewhere in my box and so I did as I was told. From there we removed all the partitions and my software and drivers started to load up just as they should.

Whole process (with Dave’s help) – about 10 minutes. So, there you go – there will be more entries later in the week – I haven’t told you about my trip yet after all…..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it catching? My laptop's suddenly decided to play silly b's. The power cable is writing its last will and testament and my USB ports are intermittently refusing to recognise my trackball. That's all I need at the moment: a civil war on my laptop (though in my case that would be particularly ironic).

Anyway, I'm bribing it by buying a complete memory upgrade from its standard piddly 256k to 1gb (bye bye £75) and hoping that'll keep it sweet for another 18 months ...