Wednesday, May 09, 2007

OMG 15 Months snuck up on me…

I just realised that it’s 15 months today since I was sliced and diced. Time just vanishes so fast, doesn’t it (does this mean I’m enjoying myself or something?)

So, where am I with the back? It’s good really. I’d love to report that I have no pain with it but I would be lying if I said that. I will say that pain pills seem to work better than they used to and I assume that this is because nothing is under quite the strain it was so they have more chance to work (if you see what I mean!). Funnily enough, I still get a fair amount of discomfort from where they took my ribs out. I don’t know if it’s the ribs themselves (or the lack of them) or if it’s just that your diaphragm doesn’t like being sliced in half and then stuck back together again but whichever it is, I would cheerfully live without it. Of course being the optimistic little soul that I am, I quite cheerfully live with it too but I do wish all those people who said it was the worst bit of the operation were wrong! *1

As to the rest of it, well, I have regained none of the nerves in my stomach or leg but I guess there’s still time. My walking is just the same and I am just as happy and healthy as ever. People are still coming up to me and saying how well I look and the other day I met an old friend and discovered that the 2” I gained in height means that I could almost look her in the eye. In fact – I didn’t realise before that she was quite so short! Hubby measured me the other day too and made me 4ft 11½” which would mean I’d actually gained 2½”, not 2” but then we realised I still had my shoes on.…..still, I feel much taller than that really!

On a cosmetic note, I really do feel a lot less lopsided. I was given the all clear to do core exercises in January and between that, and the fact that I have no swelling left, I finally have a waist on both sides. I know that there are people out there who will understand just how delighted this makes me… I still have the rib hump and I can still see the fact that I have 30+ degree curves inside me but I really don’t think anyone apart from me, my surgeon and maybe some members of the scoliosis forums (takes one to know one) would ever really notice. Amazing, innit?


*1 Actually, I’m sure its not the worst bit of the op, but it does seem to have the longest lasting implications…

No comments: