Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hey, these things have wheels….

So, we were at the airport on our way home and needed to get a courtesy bus to get us back to the car park and our cars. I was with the SPF and the BMB and they had all our stuff between them on two trolleys because I was in my wheelchair. This is something that is really necessary at airports as its just miles between point a and point b…anyway, really speaking we weren’t in the airport any longer, but I was still in my ‘chair’ so that’s the way it was.

The bus arrived and the BMB started to load stuff into the back. It was not long before he started to wrestle with a particularly troublesome load (probably mine!) and the SPF rushed forward to help him (abandoning her trolley in the process). Now you are probably aware that these airport trolleys have an automatic braking system and that unless you pull up on the handle they won’t go anywhere. Well, the one on the SPF’s trolley was broken….and we were on a slope. I made a wild grab for the trolley and at this point realised two things:

  1. I was in a wheelchair (with wheels) and
  2. I didn’t have the brakes on.

It was just at the point that the trolley started to gather pace, that I realised that
  1. I was in a predicament and
  2. I was heading for the railings.

At this point I let go the trolley with one hand and tried to brake with the other and my frenzied squeaking alerted the SPF to the fact that something was wrong. She caught up with me (and the trolley) and we slithered to a halt – predicament averted!

I did learn that you cannot stop one moving object on wheels with another similar object when there is no braking system involved…….so something positive came out of it! *1
Winking

*1SPF, please take note of my positive thinking here….
Please note, no one was harmed in the making of this blog entry. The slope was not a big slope and the SPF did not have to run at 30mph or have her arms ripped out of their sockets trying to stop either me or the trolley. It was amusing tho’…

No comments: