Sunday, September 14, 2008

The problem of having your leg attached to your body...

A few days ago, I was told that the bathroom floor in our apartment was lethal when wet, so I decided to be very safe and take my wheelchair into the bathroom to sit on to get dressed. I had a lovely shower, and perched on the edge of my chair to dry myself as planned and everything was hunky dory. The problem started when I raised one leg to put my trousers on and the other leg just started sliding across the floor in a way that perfectly imitated Bambi on ice...

So....my backside hit the ground with a thump, and I said ooof (or something like that!) and E2O starts banging on the door. "Are you ok in there?" she yells, "Can I come in?". Long story short (which involves keys and all sorts because I'd locked the door) and she sees me sitting on the floor in a state of shock with tears in my eyes

"OMG!" she exclaimed, "Are you all right?"
"My leg slid away from me, and a landed in a puddle and now my knickers are all wet" I bleated.
E2O burst out laughing*1 - "Well, that's the problem you get" she said, "when your legs are inconveniently attached to your body!"

I can always reply on her for support and sympathy in a time of crisis as you can see - although this time I am at least grateful she didn't get her camera and take a photo!

At least it was not a painful experience - merely an undignified one....


*1 Turns out she was so worried I had hurt myself that she thought it was really funny that I was more concerned about my wet clothes than how bruised I was. She later admitted that she had once fallen and cut her head open and was more concerned that she had ruined her shirt than the fact that there was blood pouring out of her. It's amazing how the brain works sometimes!

No comments: