Wednesday, November 08, 2006

9 months just sneaked up on me!

OMG, it’s 9 months today, isn’t it? That must mean its surgery update time…

It’s really funny, but every few weeks I say how much better I feel and how much better I am than I was a few weeks ago. This surely can’t go on forever, can it?

Anyway, it’s true that I do feel pretty good and lots of people have commented on how well I look too. I’m beginning to wonder if I actually looked ill or tired a lot of the time before the op, the number of people who seem to think like I look like I’m glowing with good health now….Anyway, some details for all you scolio people who want to know what the future holds…

My stomach and the area around the scar is still mostly numb but just recently has been itching. It’s maddening, ‘cos with no skin sensation you can scratch all you want but since you can’t feel it it’ll do you no good. I am desperately trying to resist temptation as I know (to my cost with my feet unfortunately) that you can do quite a lot of damage to skin you can’t feel, without meaning to. That same area still gets puffy too if I do too much – and yes, I know the answer is not to do too much, but hey, this is me we’re talking about! On the subject of not doing too much, I should mention that I may have to cut this entry very short as it is officially my afternoon off, and the SPF will be very cross with me if I eat into it. I shall tell you all about that another time I think…since I’m short of time.

My walking is pretty good – still use the 2 sticks but I am getting further (and a bit faster too I reckon). I actually saw my neuro physio last week and she was delighted to see me doing so well so that’s good. Like I mentioned last time, my left leg, although not working in quite the way it used to, is now starting to feel normal. What I mean is, that the way it is right now, is what I am used to now and I really can’t remember how I used to do things with it. It’s not like I ever had a clutch in a car*1 so I’m not missing anything much.

So, that’s it really. My pain levels are better than pre-op but maybe not as good as I wished. The nerve pain in my leg continues, but I am now down to half the dose of the meds I was so it’s all going in the right direction.

I’ll give you another update in a month (at about 8th December) and once I hit that magic 1 year mark I’ll update 3 or 6 monthly. Let’s see how it goes eh?

*1No feeling in your feet means that when you want to change gear you push your foot down hard – you move the gear knob – there is a nasty crunching sound and you realise that your foot must be nowhere near the pedal. You take your eyes off the road to peer suspiciously down into the footwell to see where your foot is and raising your eyes back to the windscreen you see that you are now in a field….well, it’s something like that (but I never quite got into a field). Automatic gearboxes are a miracle in my book (and probably in the book of anyone who’s a passenger in my car!)

Car 5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pips -

I really do appreciate how you share your experience honestly. It helps knowing that I am not alone in my thoughts and feelings as they pertain to my surgery and recovery.

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to the itchy thing. I scratch and scratch and nothing comes of it. *sigh*


Kat