Thursday, October 02, 2008

Warning – this food may cause you to choke

So, it was Friday so the FNG was coming round (unsurprisingly) and he loves curry so I decided to cook a Kashmiri Marsala. I read the jar and duly started spooning in the required quantity to the pan – so far so good! That didn’t last long though as within minutes we all started coughing - hubby and the FNG deserted me and I soldiered on, trying to lean out the window as I stirred. I wouldn’t mind if I had started to burn the food or that annoying little bit of something had stuck to the underside of the pan and was merrily sizzling just where I couldn’t see it....oh no, nothing simple like that, it was just the mixture of spices in this particular curry that really caught you in the back of the throat when you heated them (as if you were likely not to heat them, making a curry!)

Anyway, I carried on cooking and eventually we sat down to eat. It was at that point I decided to throw out the rest of the jar! Now don’t get me wrong, it was fine to eat, but, As I said to the FNG, it’s just not so good that it’s worth asphyxiating myself during cooking again!

No comments: