Monday, August 07, 2006

I have a new car

I have a nice new car. Actually, that statement doesn’t really say it at all as in fact the car is most definitely not new, it is actually very old, its just finally come to me (just like it was always meant to).

Now, you have to realise that I like cars. I mean I really like cars, really, really like them. I always liked cars, right from when I was little and (although I know its not a very girlie thing to do) I thought there was nothing better than getting out in the garage with my daddy and taking the car to pieces. Of course the being with my (fabulous) dad might have had something to do with it, but it left me with a love of the things. Long car journeys were filled with spotting different makes and models and I almost managed to completely fill my I-Spy car number plates. I can even remember most of the makes and models that my parents owned, let alone the ones that hubby and I have had.

When hubby and I got married, we couldn’t afford a second car and this went on for years. At one point we found ourselves with a 2+2 sports coupe which I had bought from a young lad up the road and as our only car, it was used for everything - even deliveries for hubby’s job. It just wasn’t big enough and finally we got a big car for hubby but I kept ‘my’ Deidre for some time until she fell to pieces with rust. Ever since, I have fancied another one or possibly an ‘upgrade’ to the ones they made a year later (which had a bigger engine among other things). You don’t see them very often, most of them have long since died, but there I was idly browsing through Ebay (classic auto*) and I saw one*1 and it looked perfect (to me!).

Hubby came home that night and said “I’ve been thinking we might get a second car again” – which I took as fate! There was one slight problem, it was on the far edge of the country, right around where if you kept going, you’d have to stop driving and start sailing! Sailor
This is where PTV and his lovely wife came into my fiendish plan - I asked PTV to go and check it out for me as there is no-one whose opinion I value more when it comes to cars
*2 and he sent me a text which said simply “Buy it!” – so I did (well truthfully, he did, and then he checked it out some more, and then he got the tyres done and so on – so I owe him big time…!). Anyway, he and his lovely wife came down to ours for hubby’s birthday party and they drove it down for me. These are seriously good friends, aren’t they? Everyone please, big round of applause.

Anyway, since hubby’s birthday was one of those significant ones (the ones that end in a big fat O) - he complained that it was his birthday, but I got a car. I gave him my (big but boring) car in exchange, what more does he want??

Car

*1I do this whilst listening to canned musack on those hideous automated phone services. I sit there and look at the Cobras, Vipers and Ponies (for the uninitiated these are cars, not animals) and dream about empty roads and being able to reach the pedals.
*2This is the absolute truth.

No comments: