Friday, August 24, 2007

Hop along Cassidy

What a nut….

…there I was going away for the weekend and had packed my bag ready to go. I had done the difficult thing of getting it downstairs on my own*1 and decided to move the case to one side so that it was easier to get past. Now what happens next deserves a bit of an explanation so forgive me if I ramble I bit…(would you expect anything else?).

Now hubby is always telling me that owning to the fact that I can’t really feel my feet, I should wear shoes more often, but true to form I was just ignoring him and was toddling around barefoot. Now of course he is right, I should wear shoes more often – maybe if I did I wouldn’t be walking around with a sewing needle in the bottom of my foot (don’t fret, it’s been there for years and years) – but as you can probably tell, I have been ignoring people who say I should wear shoes for ever (poor mother…)! I always figured that if you can’t feel when you stand on sharp object, that’s an advantage, you just pull the drawing pin (or whatever) out and get on with it, but other (probably more sensible) people say that this is all a*se backwards and if you can’t feel your feet the trick is to avoid sharp objects altogether.

Anyway, I am digressing a lot here, so I will get back to the suitcase – the facts are these:
  • I was moving it
  • I had bare feet
  • I pulled it towards me quickly whilst my brain sent a message to my foot to move out the way
  • The message went awol and my foot stayed where it was
  • I caught the suitcase under my big toenail and pulled upwards sharply

Some cursing ensued at this stage…

  • I then pushed my nail back into place and tried to ignore the blood.

So, that was a trip to accident and emergency where they were very nice, poked and prodded me and told me I was probably quite lucky that my sensation is impaired as they have quite high ceilings in the hospital and no stick long enough to get people off once they’ve screamed and leapt up there. For the time being I get to keep the nail (and not in a jar!) but have a review next week. It’s only a minor operation if it needs to go, the consultant said. I nearly said ‘call that an operation?’ whilst pulling up my shirt to reveal my evidence of being sliced and diced, but somehow resisted the temptation.

Makes walking bloody difficult though as my right leg is my lead leg and my left one won’t work without being led…its interesting I can say that!

One last thing on the subject of nerve messages. If it took too long for my brain to get the message to my foot and I am only short, how do tall people cope? Or is it something like tin cans and a piece of string and its only if you stretch them out straight that you can hear the person talking into the other tin can….? Maybe everybody’s nerves are the same length and tall people’s are all nice and taut and mine are like spaghetti junction……what do you reckon?


*1 Method: take all valuables out of case, push case down stairs (in process frighten cat who runs up curtains and adds yet more nail holes to the already shredded lining) then follow case downstairs (carefully) and put valuables back in….works every time!

No comments: