Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A weekend of fun......

Well, how things have changed in the last few months for me…

Me and the BMB *1 were supposed to be going away together for a few days – yup *2, we were running away without hubby. Umm, just before you get any ideas, hubby knew and was happy about it and no, we do not have that kind of marriage…

Anyway, back to where I was. Me and the BMB were supposed to be going away last Wednesday and because of my delicate medical state (yeah, right!) the BMB was supposed to be driving. Tuesday he rang me:

Me “You packed, ‘n’ ready to go?”
BMB, “Um there’s a bit of a problem” *3
Me “You’re not backing out are you?”
BMB “Gawd no, it’s just that the brakes on the car are shagged and we have no transport”
Me “Ah, looks like I’m driving then – heck, I’ve been driving for 2 weeks now, I bet I can just jump in the car and go right across the country – it’ll be fun…” Driving 2

So anyway (I say that a lot, don’t I) – long story short (difficult for me but I will try my best) – we headed off in the car and I drove. Secretly, I think the BMB was terrified – especially after I told him I couldn’t twist any longer to check if the way was clear to overtake or to turn out of steeply angled junctions. Since I drive the car like a dodgem too (I only have two speeds in a car, ram foot on pedal and go fast or ram foot on brake and stop), I imagine his poor knuckles were white for about half the trip until he realised that I hadn’t actually forgotten how to do it and wasn’t really going to kill us both! I didn’t though and we got there fine – even if I did find it pretty tiring.

Once there, we met up with a whole bunch of friends and decided it would be a really fun idea to sit out in the baking sun for several days and see how easy it is to get sunstroke. Actually there’s a reason for this as many of you will know, as I am involved in sport at a pretty high level, and this trip was all about getting back into competition. It went great – the BMB ran around helping everyone out like some kind of blue arsed fly and was
hugely loved by everyone for it. I (after not doing any training at all for 5 months) had a fab time and came away really happy with a silver medal too!

So, in all this, what of my back? Well, considering everything it was mostly OK. After the driving there, the 4 days of sitting out in the sun without any shade Sun for the hottest 4 days this year, all the exercise, catching up with a bunch of mates and the driving home (phew!) I got though it all. I did learn some stuff though – stretching too much hurts your scar and where your ribs should be. Doing too much exercise makes your back ache and when it does I end up dragging my leg around like its attached to a ball and chain (or maybe like I’m walking through glue – oh yes, or even quicksand…). But despite all this it was superb.

There was one odd thing and it only happened with the BMB – I found that when I look up at him look up at a certain angle I go all dizzy. First of all I though that maybe it was because he was so handsome or something*4, but now I think it’s because he is so tall. When I started PT I was getting lots of these spells and my physio told me that told me that this would happen (no, not that I would come over all unnecessary at tall men, don’t be silly), but the dizzy spells. She said that because I had spent so many years with my head held oddly to compensate for the balance of my spine, it had to readjust for the new position. At first I got dizzy going upstairs and although I put it down to altitude sickness, it did get better if I didn’t look up to see where I was going. Over the past few months, the spells have got much better, but I’d better learn fast not to look up at tall men on my right hand side - unless I want to be known as the girl who swoons at the feet of tall stangers…!
Fainting Girl

*1 See earlier postings.
*2 Certain people may find this funny…
*3 Lots of ‘sorries’ followed this bit.
*4 I have to say this or he will be hurt.

No comments: