Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Expressions are funny sometimes

Yesterday I mentioned a proper balanced picture and today, rereading it (yes thank you I am feeling a bit better today) I had a little chuckle. You see, pre-op I never had a proper balanced picture of anything because I leant over so far to the right. If I didn’t tip my head to the left, the horizon was all off kilter. In fact I used to get a lot of muscular neck pain from holding my head at such a funny angle and I was always asking for neck massages to help ease out the tension. The shame of it is now that I have no decent excuse to ask all those nice men with strong thumbs to rub my neck for me……………………….(oops sorry, just drifted away a bit there……)

.........Pinches self…

Ah, yes, where was I? Oh yes, balancing pictures and all that. On a similar subject, when I was away on the weekend, at the dinner table I was talking about how I almost always say yes if someone asks me for a favour and I came out with the fact that I shouldn’t do it because I’m just making a rod for my own back. There was much smirking and chortling at that and I have discovered that I will never be able to use this expression again without thinking of x-rays…
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since the dictionary link doesn't give the derivation - it is similar to "making a stick for someone to beat you with". Just a little etymological insight there. But I confess the mental image of rods for backs will never be quite the same for me any more.
Hubby.