Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Smacked Wrist For Me

So, today I got a smacked wrist for not updating my blog so I thought that even tho’ hubby is still off work (and so therefore this week has counted as a verrry long weekend when I do approximately no blogging) I ought to do so – if for now other reason than to wish you all the happiest, healthiest and most prosperous New Year that you could ever possibly have!

I thought I might tell you all a heart-warming story too – especially since the weather is so sh*tty – I don’t know about you lot, but here it is grim, rainy, dull damp and cold with a bit of wind thrown in (although that may be the result of too many Christmas sprouts…). A heart-warming tale is just what is called for I think so:

“It was a dark and stormy night….” – actually it wasn’t at all, I just wanted to remind you of the recursive whatsit. In fact it was a lovely winter’s night, cold but crisp – the Saturday before Christmas and hubby drove into the pretty village following the directions I had given him. He was mystified why I had decided to book a night of passion away when we had so much Christmas preparation to do, but figured that I must have my reasons. We rolled up at our (very posh) bed and breakfast where we were greeted by the owner and the offer of a glass of sherry – in fact, they said they would refill the decanter if we emptied it, so it’s a wonder that we actually left the comfort of the lounge and got dressed ready for the dinner that I had booked in a local hotel. But, get dressed we did and got there a bit early so had a drink in the bar. I have to admit to choosing a table where I could watch the entrance as there was a surprise in store….

Right on 7.30 I went to reception and who should I see there but T (of A&T fame, remember them?). Now, to me (and T) this was no surprise at all since someone has to actually organise surprises) but A (who was in the process of taking off her coat) was completely dumbstruck. Of course when a good plan comes together, the perpetrators tend to hug each other so that’s just what T and I did. A turned around to see her hubby with his arms around another woman and it took a few seconds to register who it was. Then, she just stood there with her coat zip half undone, seemingly frozen in space, just staring at me and repeating my name slowly over and over in increasingly varied tones - surprise, shock, incredulity, joy, questioning etc, etc (you get the idea) T later said she sounded like one of those lorries reversing very, very slowly (try saying my name over and over and you’ll get what he meant!).

Of course, as many of you know, A has been a bit poorly this year and so she and T decided that they would have Christmas away from home and get “a real break away from it all” and they had booked an apartment in this village. T and I just came up with the plan to meet up on the Saturday night for a meal as a surprise for her. It sure was a surprise - I have never, ever seen her lost for words until now …and you know that thing where people don’t shut their mouths and their chins nearly hit their knees, they are so shocked …and you only thought it happened in cartoons? Wrong – it really does happen!
Jaw Drop 4


Well, it was then in to the bar, to surprise hubby, who as it turned had not been completely fooled by my seemingly innocent desire to get away for a night of passion (can you have an innocent night of passion??) – but even so, he was delighted that his suspicions turned out right! You just should have seen A though, she must have sat there for the first 10 minutes just staring at us and only saying things like “I can’t believe it” and “How did you do this?”….Shocked 3
Anyway, we then had a fabulous meal and a bottle of bubbly which T paid for (you naughty man!
*1) and finally after A realised that it wasn’t all a dream we managed to catch up properly. We just had a wonderful evening and a brilliant start to our Christmas break.

Anyway, I have rambled on enough, but it was a great thing to be involved in – both for the surprise part and the chance to spend a good evening with great friends. For New Year we are doing nothing so spectacular (could we top that anyway?) – but I do wish to start my New Year’s Eve by again wishing you all the happiest, healthiest and most prosperous New Year that you could ever possibly have!

New Year

*1 You would say this about him even if he hadn’t paid for it all….
....uh huh - think about it....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. I am so behind in my blog reading...I've got a bit of catching up to do.