Monday, October 09, 2006

Check back in a few days

Aaargh! It happened....

....that horrible moment when you look at the PC and wonder why the screen has just gone white. You reboot and nothing happens except a series of ominous sounding beeps and still the screen stays white....

After a few minutes panic you rush to huby's laptop and google bios beeps - it tells you that the series you just heard means your motherboard went kaput, phut and bang all at once (actually it didn't really say that but it did use the nasty word 'failed'). So we open up the box and inside there is a nasty glowing spot in the motherboard circuitry. I'm guessing motherboards are not meant to glow like lightbulbs...

To cut a very long story short, I am now typing this with a new system box sat beside me. The very nice manager at the computer shop is personally involved in my case (told you it was a long story - but I'll save that for another time) and has promised to copy all my data from my old hard drive onto an external backup drive for me. Annoyingly I ordered the external drive from Amazon but it hadn't arrived by Saturday so I haven't actually backed up since April (smack my wrists..!).

Anyway, bear with me - I shall be spending the next few days re-installing all my software so shall be a bit busy for blogging. At least you get the benefit right now of me testing whether I got my internet connection set up and running properly yet. I guess if you're reading this I must have eh? *1


*1No smilies yet tho' - they come as a plug in with Firefox (amazing browser!) - one of those things I am going to be spending the next few days installing....

No comments: