Wednesday, March 22, 2006

6 weeks ago today….

Ah yes, it really is that long. Actually for a 6 week report I have to say I feel pretty good. At some point in the last week something changed. It was the day that hubby phoned me and asked how I was and I said “good!” For 2 days after I wasn’t good but the not good was different from before (ie more tired than painful) and then Sunday and Monday I had 2 good days in a row. In fact I feel pretty good today too. I still have a lot of pain but the nerve pain is finally under control and I have cut my major pain meds to half at night. What bugs me the most is the swelling – I feel like I have a large balloon filled with water under my skin – I wish it would go but I know it could take months. I can be patient I guess – yes, yes, really I can - there's no need to look so cynical…

I am still phased out by my reflection. Looking In Mirror Every time I look in the mirror it looks odd and I wonder how long it will take until I am used to it. I have been so crooked for so long that my brain just doesn’t want to believe it yet. I cannot believe that stripey jumpers (which I’ve always liked) now just look straight across – I think I shall have to get some knitted with diagonal stripes! Oh yes, and then there’s the thing that some of my friends are getting a crick in their neck talking to me – I guess I don’t look right unless you tip your head to one side. Oops 3

I can now toddle around quite safely with only one crutch. I’m sure my physio won’t be very happy (uneven stresses and all that) but at least it makes carrying things easier. Still haven’t tried soup tho’…..

I think that’s all for this update – things are going well – looks like everyone who told me I would start to feel much better at 6 weeks were right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I have a large balloon filled with water under my skin

That's exactly it right there in my belly! Water filled balloon under my skin.

Kat