Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I'm still waiting for *that* moment...

I have heard of many people who have cried when they first see their x-rays or when they first see their new straight back and ever since I was operated on, I have been waiting for it to happen to me. So far it hasn’t and I’m a bit disappointed….Winking 3

I firstly expected to be overwhelmed when I first saw my x-rays but to be honest I just had a whole other set of emotions going on. To start with, I had been pretty ill that day and I was very uncomfortable and then when I saw the x-ray, well, yes I was impressed in a very wow kind of way, but also I was the teensiest bit disappointed that I wasn’t any straighter! Now don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t expecting 100% correction, but you see such amazing before and after x-rays on some of the forums, that you always hope a little bit that maybe you would be one of them.

A couple of days later, the physios brought me a full length mirror and I saw myself stood upright and straight for the first time. This will be it I thought – that moment(!), well, it wasn’t. Again, I went wow (actually I went WOW!!) but still no waterworks. Then there was the measuring moment when I found out I had grown two inches and then there are all those comments from people about how tall and straight I look – all awesome and wonderful but nothing to start me blubbing. Crying 3 In fact, apart from a couple of bad pain occasions the only time I’ve really cried is when I received some flowers that had been specially ordered in my favourite colour.

So what is with all this? I was starting to become afraid that it was just because I was the hard hearted type but it has just occurred to me that there is a probable (and logical) explanation. I soon get my review appointment in which they will tell me whether I am to go back under the knife and be changed again – I think I just don’t want to get too happy about the way things are right now until I know that this is the way they will stay.

In the meantime – I still have that top that I would never have worn before the surgery to go. Maybe that will do it!

No comments: