Friday, March 17, 2006

Useful stuff for your home

I have found over the last few weeks that I have not made any lists and I am getting withdrawal symptoms…

Seriously, there are a couple of lists of things that I’ve found really helpful and maybe useful to someone else too. The first one (which I’ll tackle today) is what aids I’ve found really helpful around the house since I got home. Our house currently looks like an old folks home with all the bits and pieces of clinical looking equipment hanging around but would I have it any other way – gosh no! In the hospital someone from the Occupational Therapy department came to see me and assessed what I needed. For several nights hubby was going home with all kinds of aluminium and plastic items – what fun eh? Anyway, I have found some of this stuff really useful – nay vital and so if you can’t get stuff from OT (or whatever the system is where you live), then consider buying what you need.

Some other stuff that I didn’t get from OT but has also been useful is:

  • A sports water bottle is brilliant – you need water for tablets and don’t want to be lifting heavy jugs or running out to the kitchen all the time – also you can drink out of it while lying down.
  • I have also found a tablet sorter useful since I have to take lots of stuff spaced through the day.
  • I use an insulated mug with a lid for hot drinks. I don’t spill it on the way back from the kitchen and also you can hang onto it and a crutch at the same time without leaving a trail of coffee behind you….
  • A large lightweight shawl – wrap it round you – cover your knees (see old folks home..) whatever – it’s really handy!
Finally, you may find more ideas here : http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Anyway, think that’s about it for now – I feel much calmer for making a list….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only stuff I have is the grabber thingy and the raised toilet seat because mine is super low. I haven't bought or changed anything else.
I did make pant pull on thingies using office paper clips (big sturdy clips) and string. You clip them to your undies and pants, lower them with the strings down to your feet, slide your feet in and then pull the strings up until you can grab them.
Genius!...lol

Kat