Saturday, February 11, 2006

11/02/06 - elephant tales

Things are moving along. After I left our Leading Lady yesterday, they reduced her obs from hourly to 2-hourly. She slept a bit better last night, but you know hospitals... doze for 20 minutes, wake up uncomfortable, press the "happy button" ('Mmmmm, morphine...'), repeat steps 1-3 until just about properly asleep, only for some nuisance in white to wake you to check your blood pressure and pain levels ('mild until you woke me, moderate now').

Actually, her blood pressure is normally a bit lower than average, and it's been down quite a bit since the op (mostly through inactivity and the relaxing effects of the "happy button"). But they put up a new drip today - something to bring up her BP a bit. I'm sure they called it Jello, but I might be mistaken!

Tomorrow could be a big day - the leakage in her chest drain has slowed and they think it will probably be taken out in the morning. That will make her a bit more comfortable, but on the down side, they will most likely take away the morphine tomorrow, and substitute another analgesic. Plus, as soon as the chest drain is out, the physio is hovering...

So, where does the elephant come in? Avid students of earlier chapters will remember she expected to feel like she'd been kicked in the back by an elephant. Well, she tells me the sneaky blighter seems to have kicked her in the side instead! Strangely, lying on her back, in itself, is less uncomfortable than it has always been in the past. (Early days, and it may be that "happy button", but lets hope it's a good sign.)

For all those kind souls who repeatedly express concern for my welfare through this - be of good cheer, I'm doing fine. Bachelor catering, therapeutic administration of alcohol, and numbing the brain with TV bring down the stress levels a treat! (But why do I watch Casualty and Holby City? - I blame it on herself for getting me into the habit.)

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble, so I'll sign off for tonight.

[aside to Robyn - glad it helps, that's why she started this and instructed me to keep it up.]

Nos da
"Hubby"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its great to hear everything is coming on so well, but I have just one question. Who's getting the highest level of happy juice, Pippa on the morphine or you on the alcohol?
Sorry to say Pip was beaten again last night by a young swimmer with oversize inflatables. This sounds so familiar. Brendan suggested that as she's already there perhaps she could get a bit of enhancement and guarantee a win next year.
Not all bad news last night as the club won 2 awards. As one was Tia we are well chuffed at the moment.
Give Pippa all our love.
See you soon
Chris and Jayne

Anonymous said...

Heed the dreadful warning!....those Physios are devils in disguise - and I should know!
Tell Pip to think back a few years to the time I was beating up smaller patients for Swansea Community Physio Service - she may need the happy button again!! :¬D
So glad to hear she's doing well - love from Terry and Alison!