Monday, February 27, 2006

What goes up…

…must come down! – No, don’t worry, I haven’t fallen over! Good job too, as at the moment all the hardware is not permanent – yes it’s all screwed in place, but it’s the bone grafts which will really hold me straight in the years to come and just like breaking your leg, the bone takes time to grow and set. In fact, the metalwork is only there to hold it all in place until the bone sets – if they wanted to, they could take it all out once the bone has actually fixed in its new position! Seems amazing, but it’s true.

Anyway, to the ‘must come down’. Yesterday, I felt great when I wrote my entry and was really on an ‘up’. Just a few hours later, whilst attempting to get to the loo, I came over all faint and ended up feeling quite poorly for a couple of hours. I ended up snoozing in the chair for an hour or so before deciding on a very early night! Once in bed, I slept for almost 10 hours waking only briefly once in the night and now am back to feeling pretty great again. I think for the first time in my life I am going to be a morning person…

Oh yes, and to all of you who are worried that because I am stubborn, pig headed and often downright stupid (among other things) that I will suddenly be rushing off to do this or that and end up overdoing it, please don’t worry. At the moment, it takes me an hour to wash and dress and I am demanding food that doesn’t need cutting up as having to use both a knife and a fork is just too exhausting. It’s not that I have suddenly developed a sensible gene, but major surgery like this sets its own guidelines – your body gets tired and hurts at quite simple things – it’s worth listening to it!

BTW, Kat came home yesterday so we not only got operated on one day apart but came home one day apart too. Look after yourself Kat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey pips, listen to your body & just take it real slow.. I am so happy that you & Kat are back home!!! I checked her site several times to check on her...so thks for the update...my prayers for a good healing!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, this is kinda sucking....lol I want to hurry up and heal now! hahaha
I am blogging more on my main website. I posted pics from my cell phone from the hospital and stuff while there, kinda cool.
http://mysinglemomlife.com/blog

Take care of yourself ok?
It is really cool knowing I am going through this at the exact same time as someone else. It's cool knowing that YOU know what I feel like and vice versa.
I am having some trouble with the home health nurse situation. They never showed up today! Time to start making stoned out of mind phone calls and hope I make sense...lmao

Kat