Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Can you trust the doctors predictions?

I guess this is a matter for everyone, especially those trying to make up their minds about whether to go for surgery or not. All my life I’ve had a whole bunch of doctors predict all sorts of stuff for me and I have steadfastly ignored most of it! The one prediction that came up time and again was the wheelchair one – you’ll be in a wheelchair by the time you’re 30 then 40 and it just didn’t happen. (I guess I was listening but my stubborn streak wasn’t!) Anyway, last time I had one of those predictions I asked “why will I end up in a wheelchair?” and was told as a very minimum that the pain would be too bad for me to walk by the time I was 40. Well, the pain’s no fun, I’ll grant you that, and I have now passed the 40 mark and yes, I do own a wheelchair. I don’t use it often though so I don’t know if it counts. Another prediction was made that I wouldn’t have children, and while in fact it is true that my only pregnancy went pretty badly wrong so I’ve ended up not having children, I did at least get pregnant.

So does this mean that because these predictions came true(ish) I should believe the doctors. Of course not! Their predictions now (if I don’t have surgery) are pretty horrible with regard to squashed internal organs, slow numbness and paralysis and yet more pain, but why should I believe them when I still don’t use my wheelchair often – they didn’t really get that right, did they? No, I don’t think you can base your decisions on whether to have surgery or not solely on what gloomy future your consultant may happen to paint for you (- and don’t they all do gloomy so well!). Only you can look at your life now and look at your life 2 years ago or 5 years ago or 10 years ago. I look back to some of the things I used to be able to do and realise that I simply can’t do that stuff now. This is a good basis for a decision I think. You have been told!

Wow – I re-read this one and thought it was a bit D&M. Needed to be said tho’ so I’m leaving it in…


No comments: