Thursday, February 02, 2006

Will I grow?

Did I happen to mention that I was short? Well, I am, in fact, it just about describes me. Recently when arranging to meet someone for the first time (no it wasn’t a blind date – I am already married – and therefore if it was, I wouldn’t own up to it!). Well, anyway, did I tell this guy I had to meet that I would wear a red carnation in my buttonhole or that I had dark hair or that I would wear a red jumper (I’d have to buy one, I don’t own one of them), or even that I had a limp? No, I did none of them – I said you’ll recognise me – I’m short and do you know what – he did!

I am officially about 2.75” shorter than when I was 12 years old (and I wasn’t huge for a 12 year old apart from round the middle). So, when they straighten me out will I grow again? That’s a tricky one – immediately you’d think yes – put someone on a rack and they’re bound to get taller – right? Well, not necessarily – if they decided to stand you up at the point in the surgery when they have taken out all your discs you would definitely be shorter. (Actually, I do hope they don’t attempt to stand me up whilst under general anaesthetic and with a big hole in my middle but you never know what will amuse these doctors!) So, if they remove discs, you’re shorter…well, then they stretch you out when they crank your spine over to the rods to straighten it – and that will make you taller. So will I be taller? I’ll be shorter than now at first and then I’ll be taller again (both on the operating table) and I guess it may just all average out to the same as I am right now. Personal stories I’ve heard seem to be that the 6ft people all seem to grow (maybe I’m just jealous here and get fixated on the tall ones so don’t believe anything I’m saying here..) and the rest vary, some do, some don’t. It’d be cool to grow again at this age so I am going to draw a line on a wall somewhere in my house so that when I am home and recovered I can compare, just like you do when you are 6. That’ll be fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They measured me yesterday, I used to be 5'7". I am now 5'5". I lost height over the last couple of years.
because of my fusion from t-3-sacrum with new discs and rods, the doc says I will gain some height but he won't know how much until they can get me to stand up after surgery.
We shall see.

kat

Anonymous said...

I was close to 5'8" now am 5'6 3/4" asked my husband to "measure me again that can't be!" He said "I know how to use a tape measure! My Dr. says I will maintain my height post-op but I think I might get a bit taller...

WarpedWoman said...

Wow, so tall! I am only 4ft 9" now - I used to dream of maybe one day being 5ft and maybe this wish will come true now!