Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My left leg

I guess you all want to know what kind of state I am in at nearly the magic 3 weeks post op so I thought I’d tell you.

Of course you all know now that I am super tall at a lofty 4ft 11”. You might think this unnoticeable, but everyone seems to notice straight off and I am surprised at the lack of crick in the neck that I am getting when talking to most people. I am also remarkably straight – so much so that people are sitting with their head on one side to talk to me ‘cos they think it all looks wrong otherwise! Seeing myself in a full-length mirror just looks odd. Before the op, I would pose in the mirror, trying to stand up straight to see what it would look like but every time I let go the pose I just slumped over to the right and ended up squiffy again. Now, every time I look in the mirror I expect to slump to the right at any second but it just isn’t happening. It’s hard to get my brain around.

My scar is awesomely long – running in a kind of spiral from around my navel past my ribcage on the left and heads around towards my shoulder blade at the back. Its 13 or more inches long (and I guess I’m about 8” armpit to waist) – as I said awesomely long.
All this is great and I have only one real hiccup at the moment – having this op has thrown into sharp relief the problems caused by my spina bifida and spinal cord problems as opposed to those caused by the scoliosis. It’s good news for people who are awaiting this op who only have the scoliosis as that part has been a huge success. The other stuff, well, lets put it this way, I can’t get around without either my Zimmer frame or my crutches ‘cos my left leg just doesn’t want to play at the moment. Between the massive change in balance and the bit of feeling I've lost, I'm having to learn how to walk again! Give it time and a bit of bullying by yours truly and I’m sure I’ll get it going – anyway, I’ll keep you informed - at least it's keeping me out of mischief!
Crutches

No comments: