Saturday, February 04, 2006

Things I shall miss...

As the time gets closer and closer, I wonder more and more about the things that I shall miss while I am recovering. I did even think of making a list of them for some completely insane reason. What did I think I might do with such a list(?), tick things off day by day – oh yes, I’m missing that today, oh and yesterday I missed that! This of course all makes me sound like some kind of closet list maker- (in fact, those people who know me best will tell you that actually there is nothing closet about my avid list making (hee hee!)). Anyway, I have resisted the urge to do so (so far) but there are some things I am sure to miss.

I know I am going to miss red wine (and other booze too I expect) as I will be good and not drink to excess while recovering. This will be:
  • a) because I will be taking vast numbers of narcotics (with any luck) and it is not a good idea to mix these with alcohol (as I discovered one New Years Eve when I was young and foolish) and
  • b) because I think maybe it would not be too good for my fusion and its rate of healing. And of course there is also
  • c) and that is that if I get drunk and fall over I might break a rod or something…
I’m sure I will miss it, but I’m not actually too bothered – after an extended period on painkillers that really don’t go with alcohol a few years ago, I spent quite some time being very sober (although as you may have guessed, not upright). It was OK, I still had fun when I went out and I particularly enjoyed watching all the other drunken folks around the place making idiots of themselves. The downside was of course that I was always the designated driver…

This brings me on too the other thing that I am really really going to miss.
I am really really going to miss driving.
I love driving, I like driving fast and I like driving far. I am not a complete lunatic behind the wheel, unlike some of my friends (you know who you are!) but still I like to have fun on country roads and (somewhat unusually) love motorway driving.* Its just as well that I do like motorway driving as motorways send Hubby to sleep – it doesn’t matter which seat in the car he is in, all send him to sleep equally. (I don’t actually mind him sleeping in the car but I find it a little disconcerting when the driver starts snoring, so I prefer to do the motorway driving myself.) For some reason I like all that eating up the miles whilst listening to some suitable driving music and seeing how many unusual vehicles are on the road today (wow a Sherman tank and a DB5 both on the same stretch of road?!!). OK, OK - I admit it - I am odd, I know this and I am sure that you’ve realised it too by now!

Anyway, these two things I shall miss; putting any more down will make it suspiciously like a list so I will stop here – please feel free to make your own lists tho’…


*For all you USA citizens, motorways in the UK are like Interstates in the US – if we had Interstates in the UK they would have to be called Intercounties because we don’t have States only counties – but hey, that would just sound stupid. Anyway, for whatever reason we call them motorways!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss a drink too. And smoking. Although I have already quit for the surgery, I didn't want to. I enjoy smoking. Sad and pathetic huh? I will not smoke again because I know for a fact that it ruins teh fusion. Smoking depletes calcium and calcium makes your bones grow.
I guess I just wasn't ready to quit yet so I am totally missing it.

I'm going to miss however many days I am not allowed online...lol
I love blogging and surfing the net and emals and stuff.
I'll manage.

Only a few days now girl.
Excited? Scared? Nervous?

email

Kat

Need the password and stuff, let me know.